Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Gratefulness

Some days life lessons slap you in the face.  Today I got slapped.  Early this morning I stopped in a convenience store for a cup of coffee.  When I got to the check out, I noticed a familiar face in line ahead of me.  An old friend from my drinking days.  I hadn't seen him in a few years because in sobriety it sometimes becomes necessary to change our circle of friends.

He looked nervous and a bit agitated.  By his dress I could tell he had just gotten out of bed, threw on a robe and drove to the store to purchase a 6 pack of beer.  He had the shakes and still reeked of the alcohol he drank the night before.  I lowered my eyes hoping to get out of there without him noticing I was behind him.  No such luck.  As he went to pay, he noticed me.  I smiled and asked him how he was doing.  Looking embarrassed he said "oh, about the same".

Something in his look reminded me of where I had come from.  He was me not too many years ago. Suddenly I felt ashamed that I had hoped he wouldn't notice me.  A voice inside was telling me to reach out.  I hugged him and told him if he wanted a better way to live, I would always be there for him.  We both paid and went to our cars and parted ways.  I don't know if or when I will see him again.

As I drove away I remembered all those mornings that I would wake up groggy and hungover, already starting to plot a way to get through the day to my next drink.  A sudden feeling of gratefulness overcame me and I teared up.

I am grateful to be alive.  I am grateful to be sober.  I am grateful for my children.  I am grateful someone reached out to me.  I am grateful for grace.  I am grateful for second, third and fourth chances.

May I always have the strength to reach out when I see someone in need and may I never forget how far I have come.




2 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes! I had something similar happen to me before Xmas. I ran into an old "friend" at the grocery store, pupils like pins from the pills. She said wow Christine you look great! I wanted to reach out, but nor ready to go there yet. Hopefully you hear from him, it's never to late to change:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. It reminded me of something I read not long ago - "Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow." - Melody Beattie

    Gratitude keeps you strong and moving forward, focused with a purpose. That is always a great feeling. :) Great Job on the posts. I love the insight. It makes me think a lot about my own life.

    ReplyDelete